First Year Milestone Session
10 Things to Know Before Your In-Home Lifestyle Newborn Photography Sessions – Indianapolis Newborn Photography
Most of the time clients book me for in-studio newborn sessions. This is where clients will get the lovely posed images that I’m well known for. However, did you know that I also offer in-home newborn sessions? You can book an in-home session (cost is the same as an in-studio session) or you can book it as an add-on to a studio session at a discounted cost. For more info about pricing and packages shoot me an email.
Here is some additional info on in-home newborn photography sessions to help you decide if this type of session is right for your and your family. If you follow these tips your session will go a little more smoothly.
- Go With the Flow – In-home sessions are lifestyle sessions. This means that there are no studio lights, no naked posed babies, and no props. Instead we use your home as the backdrop for your session. If your baby is happy in your arms then we will get lots of cuddling pictures. If your baby loves his/her nursery then we will hang out in there. If big sibling(s) want to jump on the bed next to baby instead of cuddling baby then that is what we are going to capture. Hey – that is real life anyways! If baby is fussy and wants to eat then we can take a break and let baby eat! No stress or pressure. My goal is to capture your family in a flattering way but in a real, meaningful way.
- Consider Neutral Clothing – It’s important to pick clothing that complements your home. I typically recommend soft neutral colors for everyone – whites, pinks, creams, tan, peach, or any other soft color that matches your home. However, while color is important, it’s also important that you feel comfortable in whatever you are wearing. I know you just had a baby and I’ll shoot in flattering angles. But if you also feel comfortable in what you are wearing you are bound to love your images even more! Please try avoid wearing red or bright pink as these can create unflattering color casts on baby. All of my sessions include the use of a free styling tool. I’ll send you access to this after you book your session. You can use this tool to help pick out clothing that goes well together for the whole family. I would encourage you to consider what to wear for your session before baby arrives. It’s just one less thing to worry about after the craziness of baby’s arrival.
- Keep Baby’s Clothing Simple – A white onesie is my favorite outfit for baby. It’s that simple. You may also consider having a few swaddles on hand (and I’ll bring a few too). Swaddles are a great way to sooth a fussy baby and they are super cute to photograph baby in too. When babies are little they can get lost in busy clothing. Keep baby’s outfit as simple as possible.
- Who to Include in the Shoot – Normally I recommend immediate family for your in-home newborn session. This includes siblings and your fur babies (they are family too!). If you add too much extended family things can get a little crazy. That being said, if you do want to include extended family you totally can! If you (mom and dad) don’t want to be in the pictures then I would recommend doing an in-studio session where we can completely focus on baby.
- Session Scheduling – We don’t schedule your newborn session until after baby arrives. You can book your session at any point during your pregnancy to ensure availability. Then once baby arrives just shoot me an email and I’ll send you some dates/times I have open for your session. Sessions are typically scheduled on Monday/Wednesday/Friday mornings. Sessions are best when done within the first two weeks of baby’s life. If you are doing an in-home mini session (add-on to a studio session) you should expect the session to last an hour or less. If you are doing a full newborn session then you should expect the session to last 1-2 hours.
- Before I Arrive – Try to keep baby awake for at least an hour before your session start time. This will help us have a sleepy baby during the session. I also recommend turning the heat up in your home to 80 degrees before I arrive. Babies love it warm! About 15 minutes before I arrive please feed baby as full as he/she will allow you to. It’s okay if you are still feeding when I arrive. I do also ask that you open blinds/currants and turn overhead lights off before I arrive. You may also consider having an an activity planned for your session. Don’t go crazy! But if you want to give baby a sink bath, or have sibling(s) help you with a diaper change, or if it is nice we can snap a few pictures outside your house.
- After I Arrive – When I arrive I’ll probably ask for a quick tour of the rooms you were considering for the shoot. I’ll be looking for lots of natural light. Typically clients use the nursery, master bedroom, living room, and/or any other rooms with interesting architecture or lots of light. While we don’t typically use lots of props for these session if you have any family heirlooms or other items you would like to include in the session this is a great time to show me so I can plan out your session.
- During your Session – During your session you are encouraged to relax and be you. You don’t need to look at the camera the whole session. Instead share a moment with your significant other, new baby and siblings. Let me capture the real you. I’ll pose you but feel free to relax and make the “poses” comfortable for you. I’ll also get lots of pictures of baby alone. You will want to remember those tiny feet, hands, and dimples. If you have a nursery I’ll also capture the details in there. If baby needs a break at any time to feed then we will take a break. Baby is in charge for the newborn session!
- What to Expect After Your Session – About 2 weeks after your session I’ll send you your online gallery via email. You will have print rights to all your edited images and you can download your whole gallery with the click of a button. I do still recommend having your images professionally printed. I’ll send you those recommendations when I send you your gallery.
- What About Other Sessions? – I also offer in-studio newborn photography in Indianapolis where you will receive images that are more posed and styled. I offer Indianapolis Fresh 48 photography. These sessions are done in the hospital within 48 hours of baby’s birth. I also love doing Indianapolis birth photography too! If you are interested in doing a grow with me package to capture baby’s first year feel free to reach out for more info on that!
Happy First Birthday Sweet little one! You were just ONE-derful to have in the studio! Thanks for allowing me to be your Indianapolis photographer.
If you are wanting to celebrate your sweet ONE year old- let’s get a cake smash session on the books.
I’m sure everyone can relate… what a nutty year. I didn’t see this coming and I’m sure you didn’t either. I’m not going to lie. It was hard. Very hard. In April and May I had to completely stop shooting and then after that I only did outdoor sessions for a few months. We didn’t have childcare and I became a full time stay at home mom who wasn’t able to leave the house. It was HARD on so many levels. I didn’t know when I would be able to work again (and I so desperately wanted to). I didn’t know what our childcare situation would look like if I was able to go back to work (we just weren’t okay with sending our kids back to daycare). Basically my personal and professional world was rocked!
But you know what?! We figured things out as a family and I made some changes to the business and it ended up being a great year. We figured out our new normal and I think we are better off for it!
Here are some of my highlights as an Indianapolis photographer from 2020! These are in no particular order.
1. 1st time in the sunflower fields
This summer I had the opportunity to photograph two days in the sunflower fields and it was magical! You better believe I’ll be doing it again this year. I can’t wait!! The dates for these sessions depends on when the field is blooming. So I can’t open up booking until the farm knows when the flowers will likely bloom. If you are interested in these sessions be sure you are on my email list because I’m sure they will book up super fast this year!!
2. 75 beautiful families
One of the biggest joys of my job is being able to watch and document families grow year after year. The fact that so many of my clients come back every year for pictures with me means so much! Being an Indianapolis family photographer is the best and I adore each and everyone of these families!
3. One magical proposal
Being able to document a proposal is nerve wracking every single time. But I enjoy the rush and appreciate the opportunity to be able to capture such a big milestone. This gorgeous couple did not disappoint when it came to this downtown Indianapolis proposal.
4. Behind the scenes video and photography
Before COVID hit and having an extra person in the studio or not wearing a mask was something we even though about I had two local photographers come and take some video/photos of me in the studio. It’s always weird being on the other side of the camera but I’m so grateful for both these ladies and their lovely work. Shaindel Kramer and Kelli White – you guys are the best!!
5. Outdoor newborn session
You guys showed up big time this year for the outdoor newborn sessions and I’m obsessed! In a normal year I typically get one or two families who are willing to brave an outdoor newborn session with me. But when COVID hit and the only option was to do them outdoor you all did them and they where phenomenal! If you or someone you know is expecting a summer baby, let’s do their newborn session outdoors! These images are stunning. Did you know if you do an in-studio newborn session you can add a mini newborn outdoor session to your package? It’s the best of both worlds!
6. 62 studio newborn photography session
Studio newborn sessions are what I’m most known for and they are probably my favorite sessions to shoot. I love getting in my newborn cuddles! To have this many people trust me with their brand new babies means the word to me. I hope to see even more in 2021! Thank you for all for allowing me to be your Indianapolis newborn photographer.
7. Seven maternity sessions
I adore pregnancy (well I personally don’t love being pregnant, but other people being pregnant is the best!) and I think pregnant women are in one of their most beautiful states. I cherish being able to capture this times in the lives of these families. If you are even on the fence about doing a maternity session please reach out to me and let me know. You won’t regret it! And a huge thank you to all these families for allowing me to be their Indianapolis maternity photographer!
8. A gender reveal photography session
This was a 1st for me and I loved it! This couple couldn’t have the gender reveal party they had hoped for due to COVID. They still wanted to celebrate so they did a gender reveal photo shoot with a smoke bomb. I’m going to add gender reveal/birth announcement shoot to my packages for 2021. So keep an eye out for that!
9. Two Fresh 48 sessions
This one makes me a little sad. Remember, when I could go to the hospital and photograph births and Fresh 48 sessions. Ya – I don’t get to do that anymore. I get it, but it still makes me sad. Before COVID kicked me out of the hospitals, I was able to get in one Fresh 48 session at an Indianapolis hospital. Then I had one mom who booked a Fresh 48 session and still wanted to do it at her home. She still wanted those photos of her kids meeting for the first time. I was totally game and it was a great solution! I hope one day things will go back to normal, but until then enjoy this last in-hospital Fresh 48 session.
9. Two weddings and 3 engagement sessions
It’s no surprise, I don’t shoot many weddings these days. Which means I don’t shoot many engagement sessions. But each one I do shoot has a special place in my heart.
10. Bring on the cake!
In 2020 I shot 29 cake smash sessions. That’s a lot of cake!! Each session was unique and each baby was beautiful and full of personality. I love coming up with these custom sets and I hope to do even more cake smash sessions next year. Bring me all those babies!!
11. My baby’s cake smash session
Speaking of cake, my little lady gets her own highlight. I adore taking pictures of my kids each year on their birthday and this one was extra special because she was one. Brynn cake smash session was inspired by her nursery and I adore it!
12. Jack’s 4th birthday shoot
I can’t share Brynn’s pictures and not share Jack’s! Jack celebrated his 4th birthday in style with his balloon session. This was also my only shoot in the month of April!
13. One in-home lifestyle newborn session – I only did one in-home lifestyle newborn session this year, but it was for one of my favorite couples so I’m not complaining one bit!
14. 23 milestone sessions
I love all of my grow-with-me package clients! Seeing all these babies every few months is such a joy.
What a fun and crazy year! I’m not going to lie, I don’t want to repeat 2020. However, I think I made the best of it and I look forward to seeing all of you (and hopefully some new ones too) amazing clients again next year. Thank you for allowing me to be your photographer and document the lives of your family!!
I was so glad to see Zaina back in the studio again. The last time I saw her was earlier this year when she came to the studio for her newborn session. She has grown so much and has the cutest smile! Her daddy is a football player and she has his long arms and legs! Her little outfits that she wore were just adorable and she seemed to really love the pearls.
I’m glad I got to see you again sweet Zaina.
Milestone sessions are so much fun as I get to continue to watch your little one grow. This type of photography is so special because you will have photos to treasure forever! If you are looking for an Indianapolis photographer don’t hesitate to reach out! I would love to photograph your little one or family no matter what stage you are in.
Abracadabra – poof and he is one! It really seems like magic how quickly little ones grow up. This theme was very fitting for this adorable birthday boy as it represents that quick-ness and Magic is also this little guy’s nickname. How perfect is that!?
He was full of smiles and had the cutest outfits to celebrate his big birthday! He seemed to really love the cake and every photo that I took turned out adorable! While it is hard to choose a favorite, I think the photos with the Magic wand are just precious!
This sweet boy happens to be the youngest of 5 so this little guy’s Mom wanted to celebrate in style. And she had the kindest things to say to me after her session. And those simple words made my day.
Cake Smash sessions are just the best. If you are looking for a fun way to celebrate your little one turning ONE, I would love to get a session on the books. I’m an Indianapolis photographer based out of Carmel, IN and I would love to photograph whatever season your family is in!
Mauve and blush cake smash sessions are popular this year and I’m here for it! These guys threw me a curve ball with silver instead of gold but I’m kind of loving it! O and can we talk about that floral cake?! Confectioneiress crushed it on this cake!
Little Finley was into her cake but not into smiles. She had too much cake to eat. But can you blame her?! My favorite part is how she took a bite out of the cake topper and just left it there. So stinking cute.
Happy 1st birthday Finley! Thanks for coming to visit me over the last year.
If you are looking for an Indianapolis photographer be sure to reach out and let me know. I would love to learn more about you and your family are looking for.
I love working with babies and kids and creating priceless memories for their families. I had the pleasure of creating a floral blush cake smash session to celebrate Mauve turning one! She seemed to love the cake and it was so cute when she had all of the pink frosting all over her face. She did not hesitate to dig right in! While she enjoyed playing with her cake and the #1 on it, she was willing to share some of the cake as you will see towards the end of this post. She is such a sweet little girl!
Happy Birthday, Mauve! Cake Smash Sessions are so much fun! I would love to get your little one in the studio to celebrate his/her first birthday! I’m an Indianapolis photographer with a studio in Carmel, IN. I would love to be able to photograph your family’s milestone and all the moments in between.
I’ve been photographing this sweet family since the birth of big brother almost 5 years ago. I’ve changed studios since then and I’ve improved as a photographer. However, some things haven’t changed that much – I still LOVE what I do. I still adore capturing connection in families and newborns. And I have especially enjoyed watching this family grow from child to child. Big brother, Owen, and big sister, Olivia are so excited about their new baby sister, Elinor. There were a lot of special touches to this session as we tried to keep up with some traditions from brother and sisters newborn sessions! I’m excited to be able to photograph this new little one (and her whole family) over the next year throughout their milestone sessions.
If you are looking for an Indianapolis newborn photographer please let me know. I would love to capture all your family’s milestones.
I really like to do newborn sessions within the first 14 days of baby’s life. However, when CORONA came to town that just wasn’t possible due to the shutdown. This handsome little guy was 6 weeks old. It didn’t even matter that he was past that golden window. We got all the shots that mom wanted (and then some!) and we also got some amazing wide awake eye contact. Some of my favorite pictures from this session is this handsome boy just looking at the camera and making faces while on the white backdrop. He was too stinking cute with an adorable head of hair! It’s not shocker that this little guy was such a cutie… I mean look at his stunning parents.
Thanks for coming to visit me in the studio baby XXX! You were the cutest!!
If you are looking for a Zionsville newborn photographer don’t hesitate to reach out. I would love to get your due date on my calendar.