In my last post, I explain – What is a Cake Smash Session.
Now that you know what a cake smash session is, here are some tips for a successful cake smash session with KristeenMarie Photography.
Tips for the Cake Smash Cake
- The cake can either be a small smash cake or a large cupcake.
- For optimal mess I recommend soft frosting. This means that the cake shouldn’t have fondant frosting. If the cake needs to be refrigerated, I recommend that you take it out of the refrigerator a few hours before your session to allow the frosting to soften.
- Parents have the option of providing their own cake or I can provide it for you for a small additional fee. I work with a local cake maker to provide you with a custom smash cake.
- If you decide to bring your own cake the cake can be homemade or purchased locally. Here are a few recommendations for places in Indianapolis to purchase a cake:
- Shug’s Cakes – This is one of my favorite smash cake makers. She works out of her home and does amazing work and you can purchase a cake in any price range. She is located in Avon.
- Sweet Escape Cake Company – This is another one of my favorites. They are located out of Greenwood.
- Amazing Cakes of Indy
- Flying Cupcake
- Brenda’s Cakes
- Your local bakery or grocery store!
Tips for Cake Smash Outfits
- Picking your child’s outfit for the session is important. My personal style preference is simple with a splash of color. I love babies with lots of skin showing. Think birthday hat and diaper cover, or tutu with no top, or bow tie and suspenders, etc.
- If you are looking to purchase a simple outfit for your session, I highly recommend Etsy.com! Here is a link to get you started.
- If you aren’t a creative person and want help picking out an outfit, just let Kristeen know and she will provide you with some customized options based on your preferences.
How the Cake Smash Backdrop Works
- Each child will have their own custom setup based on your preferences and child’s clothing/theme.
- You have two options for your cake smash backdrop – indoor studio setup or outdoor setup.
- You choose the above option and KristeenMaire Photogrpahy will provide the rest.
- Kristeen recommends providing info about what your child will be wearing for the session at least 2-3 weeks before the session. This will allow her time to gather the necessary props.
- Clean-up for these session is easier then it looks! We let the kids make as much of a mess as they like and then we just throw everything away when we are done.
- The backdrop will be a thick photography paper, but it is disposable.
- I recommend having an exit strategy for the little ones. I’ve got lots of towels and such in the studio, but the child will likely need a bath after the get home.
- If you want to do some non-cake smashing pictures I recommend doing that before the cake smashing begins.
Here are a few examples of what the sessions look like behind the scene.
Like what you see? Ready to book an Indianapolis cake smash session for your one-year-old? The next step
is to contact me (Kristeen) to find out more about pricing, availability, and next steps!