This was my first year doing these sunflower mini sessions and I’m officially obsessed! You can bet I’ll be doing them again next year!! I didn’t even know where to start when sharing these images. There were so many stunning families and so many stunning images. The sunflowers make for such a beautiful background and the perfect opportunity to update your family photos.
If you have followed me for any length of time, you know that one of my favorite parts of my jobs is photographing families year after year. I adore building relationships with families and watching them grow from session to session. Recently Expertise.com voted KristeenMarie Photography as one of the best family photographers in Indianapolis and I couldn’t be more honored. It’s my privilege to be able to capture these milestones in the lives of all my clients. Thank you to all my clients for the opportunity to photograph your life story. I love getting to know my clients and playing an important role in capturing your changing families.
Please know that I’m doing what I can to prevent the spread of Coronavirus. That being said there is always a risk when interacting with others. My goal is to reduce the risks as much as possible.
Here is what I’m doing and what I’m asking of you…
- Studio Sick Policy – If you or anyone in your home is sick or has been sick with the last 48 hours please let me know and we can reschedule your session. These is no fee to reschedule your session. I will also provide you with the same courtesy.
- Guest Policy – Please only bring the people being photographed. No extended family or guests will be permitted in the studio.
- Shoes – Please remove your shoes upon arriving at the studio.
- Hand Washing – When you arrive after removing your shoes, please wash your hands. If anyone coughs, sneezes, or uses the restrooms I ask that you also wash your hands. I will be doing the same.
- Masks – I will be wearing a mask throughout your session. You are welcome to wear one as well when you are not being photographed.
- No Drinks/Snacks Provided – I will not be offering drinks, snacks or treats at this time. If you have little ones, I would encourage you to bring a treat for them (just in case we need some bribery!). You are welcome to bring your own water or other needs.
- Air Flow – If the weather is permitting, the windows in the studio will be open to increase air flow.
- Cleaning – Everything that baby touches will be washed/sanitized between uses. The studio will also be sanitized between clients. This was always something that has been done in the studio, but we are taking this very seriously and will be extra thorough.
If for any reason you are not comfortable coming to the studio you do also have additional options.
Option one – I’m currently able to do all sessions outdoors – newborn, cake smash, milestones, family, etc. I’m actually really loving doing these sessions outside! It’s possible to do social distancing outdoors (staying 6 feet apart) so spreading the virus is reduced significantly.
Option two – You also have the option to do your session in your home. This is a great option for newborns!
Option three – If none of these options suite you I’m happy to refund your deposit.
Please know that I’m doing everything I can to keep clients happy and safe during this difficult time.
This handsome birthday boy is the youngest of three siblings. I’ve been photographing this family since the youngest was born and this family has been an absolute joy to work with! I’m a little sad to see this guy turn one because now I won’t get to see this wonderful family as often.
Little Benjamin had a You are My Sunshine themed 1st birthday cake smash session. It was super fitting for her personality because he is just a little ray of happiness. He wasn’t super into the cake (but you wouldn’t know it from the pictures). But he was as happy as could be just exploring the set.
I also used this session for some promo pictures (stay tuned for more on that) so there are a few behind the scenes images in this post as well.
Thanks for celebrating your first birthday with me Benjamin! You were a little ray of sunshine and I hope that carries though past this first year. Happy first birthday, Benjamin.
If you are interested in 1st birthday photography or any other types of photography that I offer please feel free to reach out! I’m an Indianapolis photographer and I would love to photograph your family’s milestones.
Since I’m in quarantine and can’t take pictures of actual people, I thought it was about time to show you some lovely USB drives that I just got in the mail!
Did you know that all my sessions include the digital files?! Your files are delivered via online gallery and you can just download the whole gallery – simple and easy. You will receive your gallery within two weeks of your session date.
Some clients also like to have a USB drive to keep their files on. If you are one of those clients I’m happy to send one your way! You can add a USB drive onto any session. If you add the USB onto your package you will still receive the online gallery but then you will also receive this lovely USB drive within a few weeks delivered in the mail.
Big shout out to USB Memory Direct for the awesome branded drives. They are perfect!!
2019 was another great year – both personally and professionally. Personally I had my 2nd child so I took a 3 month maternity leave. Professionally I still photographed 131 kids and families from around the Indianapolis area, even though I took a quarter of the year off! So it’s been a busy year but I wouldn’t have it any other way and I loved every minute of it!!
So here is my countdown for the top 10 highlights in 2019:
10 – Families, families and more families – In 2019 there were 74 families that I had the joy to photograph! It’s no secret that one of my favorite things about my job is being able to watch families grow. Most of these families I’ve been photographing since they have had a newborn in the studio. Some of them I’ve even been photographing since their wedding day! Yes – some of them are new families too and I love those sessions just as much. Thank you to all 74 families for allowing me to be your Indianapolis family photographer and I hope to see all of your lovely families again in 2020!!
9 – Watching those Babies Grow – This year there were 27 little ones (and their families) in the studio for milestone sessions. Look at all those cutie little faces. Milestone sessions are so much fun because the kids personalities start to come out and they are interactive with the camera.
8. Milk Bath – If I had to pick one session from the whole year that was my favorite this would probably be it! This was my first time doing a milk bath session. This Mama was celebrating her 1-year of breast feeding with this milk bath session (yes – she is taking a bath in milk and flowers). The light was perfect, the subjects loved every moment and I’m obsessed with how the images turned out!
7 – Focus on my Family – Taking pictures of your own kids is hard! I hire someone to take our pictures every year and I recommend you do the same! However, I still try to get the kids in the studio a few times a year just to say I tried. I normally try to have fun with them during these sessions so that they don’t end up hating it.
6 – Beautiful Baby Bumps – I think pregnancy is stunning on everyone! Every time I get an expecting mama in front of the camera something magical happens… she glows happiness. I just love capturing this time in the lives of my clients! Here are the 11 expecting mamas from 2019. I would love to do twice as many Indianapolis maternity photography sessions in 2020!! If you are expecting, I would love to photography a maternity session for you.
5 – Messy messy birthday babies – Every baby has a different reaction to cake and every reaction is priceless! Happy birthday to all these cuties. There were 34 cake smash sessions in 2019. Each one was different and unique for the one-year-old. This year I even added an adult cake smash! There were 33 one year olds photographed and one 30 year old! So fun!
4 – Family Videos – I’ve done videos with my Fresh 48 and birth photography clients for years. However, this was my first year offering video as an add-on to a family session. Can I just say I’m obsessed?! Families can add on a video to any full session. I hope to do even more of these next year. Pictures are priceless but so are the videos!
3 – Birth and Fresh 48 – If I had to pick one session type to photograph all the time it would probably be births and Fresh 48 sessions. Thank goodness I don’t have to pick, but I just love these intimate moments that I have the joy of capturing during this incredible time of the lives of my clients. These images are always full of so much emotion, joy, and raw-ness. If you are considering hiring and Indianapolis birth photographer don’t think twice. Just do it. You won’t regret it.
2 – So Many Beautiful Newborn Babies – I just love having all these little ones in the studio. Newborn photography is my bread and butter. I’m most comfortable in my studio, with a tiny little one. It’s my happy place, my creative outlet, and my way of creating memories for you. I’m grateful for each and every one of these tiny humans that come to visit me. Thank you to each and everyone of these 47 families for trusting me to be your Indianapolis newborn photographer this year.
1 – Welcome to the World Baby Brynn – I know I’ve said it already, but it’s kind of a big deal. This year I welcomed little baby Brynn into the world. She has been a joyful addition to our family and we love her beyond what words can express. After she was born, I was able to photograph this beautiful girl in the studio. It was no small feat as I didn’t feel great, my hormones were all over the place, and I was sleep deprived. But the time/effort spent in the studio were so worth it. I’m glad I have these memories of our beautiful newborn girl.
I can’t thank each and every one of my clients enough for another fantastic year I have loved being your Indianapolis photographer. You guys make what I do possible. I appreciate your love and support. It’s an honor to be able to capture this time in your lives. I hope to see all of you again in 2020!
Christmas is coming… or at least Christmas tree mini sessions!! You guys love these sessions. All 4 days of tree farm minis were booked within 24 hours of sending the email. I’m excited you guys are so excited about these sessions!!
Here are my tips to you for a successful tree farm session.
- Dress in layers – I can’t stress this enough. It might be warm, but it will most likely be cold… very very cold as we typically do these sessions in late Nov and early December. As a reminder, the average temp in Nov is 40 degrees and Dec the average temperature is 30 degrees. Considering we shoot at sunset it’s likely going to be even colder then the average. That is cold, especially for little ones. You aren’t going to be able to have happy kiddos if everyone is cold. So please, please, please dress for the weather. This may hinder your style a tad but trust me it’s better to be warm then in that cute dress with no leggings underneath. We will reschedule if it’s raining, but not if it’s lightly snowing or just cold.
- Dress for the location – I really like reds/blacks/greens (think Christmas colors) or orange/red/brown (think Fall colors). There are lots of combos that could work, but I would probably try to stay away from bright floral type colors. Layers and textures always look good. You do also have access to the styling tool to help you pick clothing for your family. If you booked a session and didn’t receive that link feel free to reach out via email and I’ll send it your way.
- Meeting location – The sessions are done at Dull’s Tree Farm in Thorntown, IN. I’ll send you an exact meeting location about a week before you session. But the tree farm is about 50 minutes north of Indianapolis. Be sure to know where we are meeting and allow yourself enough time to arrive on time. It may sound like a bit of a drive, but this tree farm is stunning and is SO worth the drive!!
- Use the restroom before you leave – It’s a farm and they have port-a-potties. Sure you can use them, but do you really want to? Enough said.
- Have fun – Seriously, family pictures should be fun! We are going to play, smile, laugh and have a great time (even if it is a short time).
I can’t wait to see all of you this year for the Tree Farm Mini Sessions!!
If you are in the Indianapolis area and would like to book a tree farm session be sure to reach out! I’m a photographer in Indianapolis and my tree farm mini sessions are all completely booked for the year, but I would love to do a full family session for you on the farm and I have a few dates still available.
Doesn’t snow sound good right about now in the heat of the summer sun? While it may be a little early to start your Christmas shopping, now is the time to be thinking about those Christmas cards!
It may seem a little crazy (and it kind of is) to be talking about Christmas already. But there are only 150-ish days until Christmas. In all seriousness, this is your friendly reminder to book your family session if you want pictures in time for the holidays. Fall is my busiest time of year and I book up quickly. So if you are looking for an Indianapolis family photographer be sure to shoot me an email now to get a date on the calendar.
On a more light heated note, I can’t think of a better way to celebrate then with pictures of adorable Christmas babies.
I hope to see you and your family this Fall!
This year was truly a great year both personally and professionally. I feel like I was able to really hit strides with my work/life balance. I made a point to provide top notch service to my clients and to my own family at home. I did this by cutting back on weddings and weekend shooting and working more closely with and providing additional services to the clients that I have.
I love and adore every single client and I’m honored that each client choose me to capture this time in their lives. I know you have lots of choices when it comes to photography in Indianapolis. So thank you, thank you, thank you for allowing me to be your Indianapolis photographer!!
Here are a 15 highlights from the year. They are in no particular order.
1. Styling Service Now Included with Every Session
I started offering a new styling service. This service can be used for all sessions… everything from in-studio milestone sessions to newborn sessions to maternity sessions. I think the service is most beneficial for family sessions or maternity sessions. This online tool takes the stress out of picking outfits for you and your family!! My clients who have used the service have had nothing but rave reviews about it so far and I’m loving the looks that people are coming up with! You can read more about the service here.
2. Thirty Six Messy Cake Smash Sessions
I love a good mess… especially when cake is involved! I take great pride in giving each little one that comes into the studio a completely custom cake smash set-up. Being an Indianapolis cake smash photographer is a blast. Some kids love cake, some kids love to play with cake, and some just don’t love it. Whatever happens, it’s sure to make some great pictures and memories. All 36 of these cake smash sessions were so much fun!
3. More Minis
My clients love mini sessions. I offered more variety of mini sessions this year and they all filled up pretty quickly – which I see as a sign of success! This year the mini sessions included Spring Minis, Summer Creek Side Minis, Urban Minis, Fall Minis, Christmas Tree Farm Minis, In-Home Holiday Minis and In-Studio New Year Mini Sessions. Just looking at that list is a little overwhelming! I also always offer the weekday in-studio mini milestone sessions. These mini sessions are a great way to update your family pictures without a large investment. Many families chose to do multiple mini sessions so they could capture their families a few times in one year. I do plan to offer more minis sessions in 2019. Be sure to subscribe to my email list to be the first to hear about these. Also, you will see the dates and times update here if they have already been announced via my email list.
4. Featured in Indianapolis Monthly Magazine
This feature was a big surprise to me! It wasn’t something I applied for or anything. But what a fun and amazing surprise and honor!! Indianapolis Monthly Magazine featured KristeenMarie Photography as the best Cake Smash Photographer in Indianapolis! There was a half page spread on my services and they featured a lovely image I took. So fun!!
5. My First Surrogate Birth
Being an Indianapolis birth photographer is one of the biggest joys of the job. Shooting births is one of my favorite things!! I shot a number of births this year, but by far my favorite birth was the surrogate birth that I photographed. This was something new to me and it was so cool to witness!
Thank you to all my clients who allowed me into their personal birth space to allow me to capture this very intimate time in their lives. I will forever be honored to have been able to capture the birth of your children.
6. Two Indianapolis Proposals
Not every guy hires a professional photographer when he proposes, but if you really want to knock your proposal out of the park then you hire one! While I only did two Indianapolis proposal photography sessions this year they were both killer proposals!! Take note guys, these two knew that they were doing!!
7. Back-end Changes
If you are a long time client you may or may not have noticed a few back-end changes. My hope is that these changes were seamless and you didn’t really notice. If you did notice I hope that you were pleasantly surprised! Here are the two changes that were made:
We switched our CRM from ShootQ to Dubsado. This tool is what we use to collect payments and have clients sign contracts. Dubsado is much more user friendly then ShootQ and if you noticed a change I hope you love it as much as we do!!
We also switched our client gallery hosting. We switched from Smugmug to Cloudspot. The new galleries are SO much nicer then the old ones and easier to use too. I hope you love these too!!
8. Fifty-Nine Indianapolis Families Photographed
Some of these families have been with me for YEARS. One of my favorite things about my job is being able to watch kids/families grow over the years and building relationships with my clients. It means the world to me to be able to capture these families year after year! I’m excited to start getting my 2019 calendar filled for family sessions. If you are looking for an Indianapolis family photographer this year. please let me know so we can get something on the books!
9. Continued Learning
Even though I’ve been in business for over 10 years now there is always still more to learn! This year I attended the Reset photography conference. I had the awesome opportunity to watch some pretty amazing photographers work including Sarah-Beth Photography, Twig + Olive Photography, The Herrintons, and Spanki Mill. You can read more about my takeaways from this photography conference here.
10. Seven Fresh 48 Sessions Capture in Indianapolis Hospitals
Is there anything better then a fresh new baby?! I think not! I’m actually kind of surprised I didn’t do more of these because I ADORE Fresh 48 sessions. If you are even considering doing a Indianapolis Fresh 48 photography session in 2019 let me know! I would love to capture your little one in those early hours of his or her life! Seriously, contact me if you are even considering this. I want to see all of those brand new baby toes.
11. Nine Beautiful Baby Bumps
Look at all those beautiful baby bumps!! All those glowing mamas and mamas-to-be were just stunning. I can’t wait to do more Indianapolis maternity photography in 2019!
12. Fifty Two In-Studio Milestone Session
Wow – that’s a big number! That’s an average of one per week throughout the year. Most of these milestone clients were first newborn clients in the studio. And we all know that I adore watching my clients grow so that makes my heart so happy!!
13. Five Beautiful Brides
Yes – I still shoot weddings. No – I don’t shoot a lot of them. I used to shoot 30+ weddings a year. However, I’m not at a point in my life where I can sustain that. Plus, it’s not where my heart is. I love shooting weddings but more then 5 in a year, and I don’t love it anymore. I give everything I’ve got to my wedding clients and I hope that they see that on the day of their wedding and in the final photo product. Next year I expect to shoot about 5 weddings too. If you are looking for an Indianapolis wedding photographer feel free to reach out! Let’s see if I’m a perfect match for your big day.
14. Eighty One Newborns in the Studio
If I had to pick only one thing to photograph for the rest of my life it would hands down be newborns. Good news is I don’t have to pick just one thing. But it’s no surprise that I did more newborn sessions then any other type of session. These are just the Indianapolis newborn photography sessions that were done in the studio too. I also had some in-home lifestyle newborn sessions and some clients added on outdoor newborn sessions to their packages in the summer months. So many beautiful brand new babies and their families.
15. New Promo Video
This video was actually shot in 2017 but wasn’t complete until 2018 so I think it still counts! If you haven’t seen it yet you should really check it out below. The video shows me in my element working as an Indianapolis newborn photographer in my studio. The lovely Erin Werner from Little Nuggets Photography produced this awesome video for me and I just love it!
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I LOVE my joy. And I love each and every one of my clients. I couldn’t do what I do without the trust that each and everyone of you give to me to capture this special time in the lives of your families. Thank you 100 times over for allowing me to be your Indianapolis photographer!! I hope to see you again in 2019!!
If you are a long time client of mine and you have had a session in the last year you will notice that your galleries look different. I hope you think that they look different for the better! I’m pretty excited about the new galleries. They are much cleaner and the focus is on the images instead of other ‘stuff’. I switched from galleries hosted by Smugmug to galleries hosted by CloudSpot.
If you are a photographer (or a curious client), and interested in knowing why I switched gallery platforms here is a little more info about why I switched. Also don’t miss my referral code for a discount at the end of the post if you too are interested in switching!
- They look SO good! The Smugmug galleries were branded everywhere with the Smugmug logo. It looked horrible, but I felt stuck with Smugmug since I had been using them for so long. So I just dealt with the clumsy look. But when I discovered the beautiful gallery options (yes – as in more then one choice for how your gallery looks) that CloudSpot offers I was amazed! The galleries focus on the images instead of their logo. It is no doubt that this tool was created by photographers!
- It’s cost effective. Over the years I’ve looked at MANY different gallery platforms. However, I didn’t want to have to worry about file size limits or number of downloads or anything like that. CloudSpot offers an unlimited plan that lets you not worry about these things. You can upload as much as you want for one flat price.
- They did the heavy lifting for me. I mentioned that I’ve been using Smugmug for a long time. I’ve got close to 1000 galleries created with Smugmug. I use it as my back-up cloud storage. The idea of having to move all these galleries to another tool was completely overwhelming to me. But CloudSpot offered to do it for me – yay!! You cannot ask for better customer service then that!
- It’s on brand. Everything about CloudSpot is customizable. The URL to my galleries doesn’t even include CloudSpot in the URL. I’ve been able to customize my gallery to look like my website/brand so it’s a seamless experience for my clients.
- The tool is constantly being updated. This company does one thing and they do it well – client galleries. Their service/tool is constantly being updated with new fun and helpful options. Smugmug is an older company that just acquired Flickr. They aren’t focused on me and my lovely galleries/pictures. I don’t really know what they are focused on but in the 7+ years I’ve been hosing my galleries with them very little has changed. In the 6 months I’ve been using CloudSpot there have been a number of updates and they have all been awesome!
- Great customer service and community. If you have a question or a problem their customer service will get back in minutes not days. No question is too small and they are so helpful! Also, there is a Facebook community for those who use CloudSpot. This community has been great to get ideas on things I could be doing to help my business using CloudSpot.
- I’m a Dubsado Client and CloudSpot and Dubsado integrate. At the beginning of the year I implemented Dubsado and haven’t looked back! You can read more about that here. Dubsado announced that they were going to integrate with CloudSpot and I looked into it and I thought I would give it a try. So far I’m loving the integration and CloudSpot.
- It is easy to use. The interface of the software is so easy to use for both myself as the photographer and for my clients. It really helps to make sure that photos are uploaded properly and that photos can then be downloaded properly for the client. I love the clean look of the interface as well. It is very clear and concise.
Overall I’m obsessed with CloudSpot. However, I should note that the one thing they don’t do is host video. I like to dabble in video and I include video services with a number of my sessions. However, CloudSpot does not allow you to upload video. So I’ve had to find another service to use to host video. This stinks and is a little clunky, but overall this one minor flaw is worth since I get all the other benefits. I will also note that CloudSpot lets you link to video in your client galleries. However you can only add one link per gallery and then the client can’t download the video from the gallery. If I was only an Indianapolis photographer and didn’t do any video CloudSpot would be perfect. But because of the video limitation it has one minor flaw.
I hope you enjoyed my thoughts on CloudSpot. If you haven’t made the switch yet you should really consider it!! You can use my referral link here to get 25% off your purchase. If they are running a promotion I believe the referral link will also get you 25% off on top of the current promo they are offering.